Monday, October 18, 2010

Pretzel Dogs

Have you noticed pretzel everything these days?  Pretzel bagels, pretzel hamburger buns...pretzel dogs?  I reworked a pretzel recipe I had to make these pretzel-wrapped hot dogs.  Everybody loved them here, so I thought I'd share the recipe. 


Pretzel Dogs
The original recipe is for "Soft-Ball Pretzels" from Paula Deen.

Ingredients


1 cup warm water (about 98 degrees F)

1 package active dry yeast

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted

2 tablespoons margarine, softened

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar

4 cups water

2 Tbs. baking soda

Kosher salt  or pretzel salt

One package Hot Dogs ( I used Hebrew National, which only has 7 per package)

Directions

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm water and yeast. When the yeast dissolves, add half of the flour, the margarine, salt, and sugar and mix  with dough hook for about 3 minutes. Add in the remaining flour. Continue kneading dough in mixer or turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is no longer sticky. Let the dough rise in a greased, covered bowl until it doubles in size, about 45 to 50 minutes. Punch down the dough and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into 18-inch long ropes. Wrap the rope around the hot dog, making sure that the ends are secured.  Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Any remaining ropes of dough can be shaped into pretzels. Let rise again until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
In a large non-aluminum Dutch oven over high heat, bring 4 cups of water and baking soda to a boil. Using a large spoon, gently lower pretzels into water a few at a time and boil for about 1 minute, or until they float. Return the pretzels to the cookie sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt or pretzel salt.   Bake until browned, about 12 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Made the pretzel dogs tonight. Here's how ours turned out! Yummy - a kid-pleasing classic. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made the recipe. I added the amount for the yeast. Thank you for pointing that out! Thank you again for trying one of my recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these for my family and they were wonderful. thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting a comment. I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I updated the picture. This time I made sure to wrap the dough tighter with the ends tucked underneath. I hope it shows better in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... stopped by because I'm making these again. This picture, sadly, looks a bit on the - ahem - toasty side. Maybe I'll get a picture of mine tonight before they're all snapped up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I guess the picture does make them look a bit dark. No doubt distracted at the last minute of cooking by some crisis in the household :) I'm so glad you came back to make the recipe again. I would love to see a picture..please post!

    ReplyDelete