Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rainbow Cookies

Rainbow Cookies recipe link
Okay, so here is my "new" recipe for this Passover.  My only real adaptations are that I made it with parve margarine instead of the butter, substituted vanilla sugar for the extract.  Also, I couldn't find Kosher-for-Passover almond paste, so I made my own.

Almond Paste (Adapted from an Epicurious recipe)  Makes 1 1/2 c.
1 1/2 cups whole, blanched almonds
1 2/3 c. confectioner's sugar (or equal amount granulated sugar pulsed with 2 Tbs. potato starch)
1/4 c. egg whites

If making for Passover, create the powdered sugar first in the food processor.   Add almonds and grind to a fine powder.  Add egg whites and pulse until a ball forms.  May add a tsp. of almond extract (or flavoring) for a more intense almond taste.  Turn out ball onto a piece of parchment paper.  Form into a log and wrap in paper.  May be refrigerated for a week or frozen at this point.

Rainbow cookies after the layers have cooled, been stacked and pressed for 24 hours.


Cookies after they are cut into lengths and spread with apricot glaze.


After the glaze sets, melted chocolate gets spread over them.


Success!!!  Sorry about the crumbs on the plate..I few got snagged before I could get a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment